Renshinkan England follows the teachings of Isamu Tamotsu, the founder of Shorinjiryu Renshinkan, Iwao Tamotsu, the Nidaime (second successor) Grand Master, and our current Grand Master, Sandaime (third successor), Yuzo Tamotsu, 10th Dan. Renshinkan was founded in England in 1985, and is led by Kyoshi Julia Turley (6th Dan), who is completely committed to teaching traditional budo with all of its many challenges and joyous rewards. Julia teaches full-time, having left a successful career in local government in 2002 in order to commit fully to her practice. She is deeply committed to following, maintaining and growing this traditional art in the United Kingdom. Renshinkan England is an honourable and skilful karate school with true depth of character, based upon the ancient wisdom of Okinawan budo. We strive to continually improve our character; working hard at uniting our heart mind and body.
Orthodox All England Shorinjiryu Renshinkan Karate Do.
Our vision is ‘The formation of sound human beings which builds a sound society’.
FOUNDER – ISAMU TAMOTSU, 1955
Our mission is to inspire our students to be the very best citizens they can be.
We will do this by;
- Delivering traditional and orthodox karate training in Shorinjiryu Renshinkan Karate Do, strictly following the path laid for us by our founder Isamu Tamotsu, Nidaime Iwao Tamotsu and our current Soke, Yuzo Tamotsu, Sandaime.
- Enshrining our teaching in the seven Bushido values of Rectitiude, Courage, Compassion, Respect, Honesty, Honour and Loyalty.
- Providing classes to all in our community, aged 5 years+
- Delivering teaching which conforms strictly to the syllabus provided by Hobucho, and the Sensei Team.
- Providing many and varied stimulating environments in which to expand our mind body and spirit.
- Giving a formal measure of progress via grading examinations.
- Providing a competitive arena in which to challenge our courage, fortitude and resilience, whilst protecting human life by using correct Bogu.
- Providing a clear path of development towards and beyond shodan grade in order to empower students to become Sensei themselves if they so wish.
- Abiding by and respecting the rules that govern all of our activity.
- Ensuring we are a force for good in our local communities and our Renshinkan family, both domestically and internationally.
- Ensuring our students are cared for as Renshinkan family members, and provided with as much support as possible in their life’s journey.
- Adopting and abiding by all legislation required by our country.
We will strive to achieve all of these aims whilst learning the power of tranquil compliance, pacification of the emotions, and self-control in the face of any event that life may throw at us.